My Classic Go-To Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
For the first recipe on my blog I wanted to go classic, the thing that really made me fall in love with baking and gave me so many memories that I’m still nostalgic for every time I take a bite.
Chocolate chip cookies!
This is my original recipe, so no, it’s not safe to eat the dough. These cookies bake up thick and chewy with soft centers and just a bit of crunch on the outside, exactly how I like them.
It took me years to create my ultimate, every-aspect-is-perfect cookie. Turns out, one of the keys to that thick but not cake like texture I crave is cornstarch. In the same way it thickens a soup or sauce, cornstarch thickens the dough without adding flavor or color. A nice thick cookie that is dense but not too dense is the result. If you make them, let me know what you think at @kristentomlan!
2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 ¼ teaspoons corn starch
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1 ½ sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg and 1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, corn starch, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter on medium until it is smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add sugars and beat until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Add half the flour mixture. Mix on low speed for 15 seconds. Add the rest of the flour mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer. Use a rubber spatula to fold in chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator overnight. If you can’t stand to wait, chill in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion dough onto baking sheets about 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are just turning golden brown and centers are set.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy warm or transfer to a wire baking rack and cool completely.